Sunday, May 5, 2019

What is sustainability?



My definition of sustainability: 

I think that sustainability can be broadly defined. For me, I see it in the sense that we need to fulfill our needs but in a way without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.

How I try to be sustainable:


There are many things I’ve done in my daily life to be more sustainable. I try to use as much natural light as possible before turning on my light bulbs. In Seattle, it is illegal to throw food and food waste in the trash. You have to separate everything into compostable, recycling or trash. My family and most of our neighbors go and buy food weekly at the local farmer’s markets thus we are supporting local farms, and the farming practices emit less Co2 due to less transportation needed. When I do go to a grocery store, I tend to buy all organic and bring my tote bags instead of the plastic bag or paper bags that offered. Certain stores such as whole foods and Trader Joes give incentives to customers for doing this simple act. If I need to use something temporarily, I try to ask a friend or neighbor If I could borrow it instead of going and buying the item. I have done this multiple times throughout college with textbooks. I also try my best to use my own hydro flask instead of using a plastic water bottle or bringing my own mug to Starbucks.



Ways that you can be sustainable:

  • Turn off or unplug appliances and lights that you’re not using.
  • Set your thermostat lower than usual in the winter and bundle up.
  • Open windows to allow a breeze instead of turning on the air conditioning.
  • Hang clothes to dry instead of using the dryer.
  • Try growing your own food. 
    •  You can easily grow herbs, fruit, and vegetables. Even if you only add a few plants around the house, it all helps!
  • Donate Items that you no longer want or need. 
    • This extends the life of the product before it goes to the landfill.
  • Don’t use plastic bags at checkout. Instead, bring your own bags from home for your groceries.
    • Each year, an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide and sadly most of them do not get recycled. 
  • Opt to receive everything digital.
  • Donate your old devices to schools and other institutions.
    • According to the EPA, of the roughly 2.25 million tons of used and unwanted electronics each year, 18% is collected for recycling and roughly 82% winds up in landfills
      • Dell and Goodwill have collaborated to get more than 96 million pounds of electronics donated and then refurbished. Once refurbished the new electronics are given to the local community. 
  • When you purchase items that are imported from all over the world look for the fair-trade certification. This means that the items are grown using sustainable agricultural methods and that local people are receiving fair prices for the goods they produce.
  • By higher quality products. 
    • This will help you reduce dependence on disposable or cheaply made single-use products that end up in landfills.



Some great interactive and educational websites to help better understand your water use and carbon footprint


https://waterfootprint.org/en/water-footprint/personal-water-footprint/
https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involved/how-to-help/consider-your-impact/carbon-calculator/

No comments:

Post a Comment